Testosterone is the major sex hormone and aids in sperm production in a male body. It also regulates muscle mass, fat distribution, male fertility as well as bone mass referred to as secondary sexual characteristics. Low levels of this hormone cause adverse effects in men and can lead to bone loss. There are certain ways that its levels in the body can be increased. By taking medicines with boron. However, the levels of this hormone in a man’s body drop as they age.
When this hormone decreases in the body, it causes health effects such as infertility in men. This hormone is also found in women but at very small levels. High levels in women cause them to have deep voices, irregular periods, reduced breast size, swelling of the clitoris or having oily skin and acne.
Irregular levels of this hormone either low or high cause the following problems in men.
- Low sex drive. Because it is the primary sex hormone. When it is either low or high, it does not perform its function.
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Swollen breast tissues in the body.
- Reduced sperm count. Since it is the hormone responsible for sperm production in the body.
- Increased body fat
- Loss of hair
- Weak bones and reduced energy
Causes of low testosterone in men
- Infection in the testicles– this hormone is produced in the testicles if the testicles are infected, they do not work normally and produce low levels of testosterone.
- Chronic diseases. Such as kidney diseases, obesity, HIV/AIDS and diabetes altering the normal body functions.
- Medications. Use of some medications results in hormonal imbalance.
- Genetic diseases. Disease such as Prader-Willi syndrome which is genetic interfere with the body functioning and lead to a decrease in the hormone levels in the body.
It is important to maintain the levels of testosterone. The hormone decreases over time as a result of aging. It is very important to be keen on low testosterone levels in the body. They should also be balanced to get the maximum benefits of the hormone
Men can raise the levels of testosterone in their bodies in several ways such as. Engaging in body exercises and lifting weights. Eating food rich in protein and fats. Reducing stress in their body since stress decreases testosterone in their body. They can also get vitamin D either from the sun or through consuming fruits. Quality sleep and resting are vital for this hormone to rise to the right levels in men. Taking mineral supplements rich in boron is also helpful. Supplements can be taken orally or administered through injections or skin gels. The supplements should be taken cautiously since some have negative side effects on the user. They may cause an increase in the number of red blood cells produced by the body. It also results in acne in men, breathing challenges when sleeping. Regular use of these supplements may lead to some cardiovascular diseases.