Writing a memoir allows a writer to share a part of their own lives with others and touch the hearts of many. It is also a great way to make your memories live forever on paper. If the most precious moments of your life won’t be written down, they might be lost forever. But how do you create a book people will want to read? Find more memoir writing tips in this article.
Get started with your memoir
Before you actually start working on your book, there are a few steps you need to take first. Here are 5 things you should work on before starting your book:
- Choose a theme. Coming up with a topic is the first thing you should do. What is interesting to you? Which part of your life and personality do you find the most curious?
- Make a list of the most important experiences in your life. Memoirs are about events which happened in our lives. Create a list of everything significant from your life, and sort it out by priority.
- Think about the details. The most interesting stories contain details that make the story even better. Try to remember the small things as well. In smaller details hides the bigger picture.
- Note all of the special memories. There are many special moments from our lives that can make any day brighter. Think about which memories are the best for you, and consider making them a part of your story.
- Ask your friends and family about their stories. There are many other people that share memories together with you. Talk to your closest ones about the adventures you had together and which meaning do they have now.
Tips on how to write a memoir people will want to read
When working on a memoir, you have to keep in mind many things. Here are some tips on how on the writing process:
- Be honest with your readers. Whenever you tell a story about your life, don’t lie. The main thing about good memoirs is their truthfulness. Share your experience with others, not only a beautiful story.
- Use old photos and videos. Such elements will not only make the story more interesting but will also bring more sense to it. Also, it can be very emotional to go through old pictures and videos, and you might get more ideas for your book.
- Follow the structure. Like all books, memoirs have structure as well. Remember: your story should have a logical beginning and ending. Don’t be chaotic, try to compose your story in order.
- Show instead of telling. That’s a common rule for all writers. Instead of describing the situation, show vivid images and details to bring the story to life. It also lets readers have a personal perspective on what they read, which allows the imagination to flow.
- Explain how your life is affected by the story today.
- Work every day. To create an amazing story people will want to read, you should work on the manuscript every day. Set a specific time for when you are going to write, and don’t miss it. Exercising on a daily basis will help you improve your skills.
- Use the elements of fiction to create your story. Your story will be about the main hero who will have friends and enemies, ups and downs. It’s okay to work with fiction elements when creating a memoir. Keep in mind that it’s not an autobiography, but something different.
Finishing your book
After you are done with your story, there are a few things you can double-check or review. Here are some tips you can use for creating an amazing story:
- Show others your work. Ask your friends and family to check out what you wrote. People who know you well will be able to give honest feedback.
- After you are done with your story, review your work to see if there are many grammar, spelling, or punctuation mistakes. If you don’t have much time left, use editing services to improve your text.
- Check the facts. All of the dates, places, and names you used in the text should be double-checked. Otherwise, readers want to take your work seriously.
- Find the target audience. You should always be aware of who your readers are. Research on who might be interested in your story, and try to appeal to potential readers.
- Read your writing out loud. It can help you to detect some gaps and poorly written moments.
To create a nice memoir, take some time to remember all the important moments from your life. Be true and write about adventures that really happened to you. And if you feel like you don’t have much time left, don’t hesitate to ask for help. If you need assistance with editing your book, feel free to use proofreading services that will make your text better.