If you’re struggling to get your pre-mom body back, know that you’re not alone. Pregnancy and childbirth can leave you with a significant amount of excess skin and general sagging but a mommy makeover can help you regain some of your lost confidence.
Even though carrying a child and becoming a mother is a truly miraculous experience, it does take its toll on your body and every woman deserves to feel beautiful and confident after they become a mother.
Mommy Makeover 101: What’s Included?
The stomach and breasts are the two areas that are most affected by pregnancy and weight loss. A mommy makeover is a procedure that’s made up of several different surgeries that are designed to rejuvenate these areas.
The procedure can tighten sagging skin and lift and enlarge deflated or stretched breasts. Breast augmentation and lifts, liposuction and tummy tucks are some of the surgeries that are most often included in a mommy makeover. You can choose to include all of these procedures or just undergo two – it all depends on what you want to achieve.
Is a Mommy Makeover a Good Fit for You?
According to the best Australian female plastic surgeon, Dr Anh, this is what you need to consider before you decide that a mommy makeover is right for you:
- Your Family. Are you planning to grow your family in the future? The answer to this question matters because breast surgery can affect your ability to breastfeed and the results of your mommy makeover will naturally be affected if you decide to have more children. It’s better to schedule a mommy makeover once you’ve completed your family.
- The Recovery Period. If you still have young children in the house, you are going to need someone to assist you during your recovery. You won’t be able to run errands and take care of the chores you usually would, not until you’re fully recovered anyway.
- Lifestyle Choices. If you want to go ahead with this procedure, you won’t be able to drink or smoke 4 weeks before or after your surgery. Smoking and drinking can affect your health as well as the results of your surgery, which is why it’s discouraged.
- It’s important to be realistic about scarring and understand that some people are more prone to it than others. Your recovery and results won’t be the same as others, which is why it’s important to have realistic expectations before you go into surgery.
The Best Time to Schedule Your Mommy Makeover Surgery
You may be dying to get your pre-pregnancy body back but you’re going to need to give your body time to recover first. Experts recommend waiting at least 6 – 12 months before you schedule a mommy makeover – preferably after you’re finished breastfeeding too.
Keep in mind that not everyone is deemed a good fit for a mommy makeover. Your surgeon will need to perform a physical examination and you will need to meet a few other medical requirements first.
Mommy Makeover – What Happens Before & After the Surgery
Your consultation is the first stage of your mommy makeover journey. Your surgeon will take you through everything you need to know about the procedure and determine whether you are an ideal candidate.
Here is a general idea of what you can expect as a mommy makeover patient:
- It’s a lengthy procedure. Since your surgeon will be performing multiple procedures, you can expect your makeover to take up to 8 hours. In some instances, you may need to undergo two separate surgeries if your surgeon recommends it.
- Pain is different for everyone. Patients all experience different levels of discomfort after their mommy makeover. However, your surgeon will provide you with pain medication to make your recovery as comfortable as possible. Your surgeon will also provide you with some pain management advice.
- Postoperative check-ups are a must. You will need to see your surgeon again 5 – 7 days after your surgery so that your wounds and progress can be checked. It’s very important to follow all of your surgeon’s aftercare instructions after your procedure to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Results take time. Most patients need to wait 6 – 12 months before they can enjoy the final results of their surgery, so patience is key.
Before You Schedule Your Makeover…
Before you get excited about the possibilities of a mommy makeover, it’s important to point out how crucial research is. While your surgeon will provide you with all the information you need, you will need to take the time to find the right surgeon first.
Reputable surgeons are qualified, experienced, knowledgeable, and they will never try and talk you into surgery. Be sure to check your surgeon’s background, qualifications, training and any reviews from past patients to cover all your bases.